Wednesday 9 January 2013

Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup

As all the excitement and awesomeness of the holidays dwindle away for another year, the soul starts to crave some comfort. The weather is still cold, the snow still falling, and the next holiday doesn't come until the end of February. It all seems pretty bleak, but I always try to do little things to bring the spirits back up. Cooking hardy, healthy, and filling meals during this time of year is my number one pick me up (obviously it is food related!)

So as I scrolled through my Food inspiration board on Pinterest, I was looking for something I could cook that would lift my spirits. I came across a delicious recipe for Broccoli and Cheddar soup... The same soup that was served at my wedding. This was sure to do the trick!

I went shopping for all the ingredients, and added it to the meal plan! My husbands New Years Resolution for me (yes, he enjoys making resolutions on my behalf) is to try a new food/meal once a week. Although broccoli soup isn't new to me, it is new for me to cook, so I figured this adhered to all his rules! :) It all paid off because it was absolutely delicious!

If you're interested, here it is! The original, recipe can be found here

All my ingredients 
1/4 cup butter
1/2 chopped onion
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup flour
1 cup half-and-half
1 cup milk
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 lb fresh broccoli, chopped
1 cup carrot, shredded and chopped (I added double because I love carrots!)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cardamom
8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
4 ounces grated jack cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Sauté the onion and garlic in the butter over medium heat. Add in the flour, stirring constantly. Add in the half and half, milk, and chicken stock. Bring to almost a boil.

Add the broccoli and carrots. Simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes.

Season the soup with the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cardamom. Stir in the cheeses (and you can play around with the amounts; use however much or little you like) and let simmer for 10 minutes or until you reach the desired tenderness of the veggies. I served it with a fresh loaf of cheese bread! To... Die... For...

My husband didn't lift his head through the whole meal!

Give it a try and let me know how you like it!

Mmmm Brocoli Soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment