Tuesday 5 August 2014

Bread Maker Lemon Poppyseed Loaf

Spring has sprung in our home!



Despite the fact that the weather network has forecasted a winter storm alert today, and we are expecting about 15cm of snow mixed with freezing rain, I am still in good spirits and feeling that spring will in fact spring up on us sooner than later!

That being said, nothing says Spring like a refreshing loaf of Lemon Bread. There is just something about warm lemon bread with some melted butter that screams spring to me! It is a refreshing light snack or dessert that is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters! Here is how its done!

Ingredients:

Makes a 2 lbs loaf
*Take it from me and use fresh lemons. I made one batch with lemon juice from a bottle and let me tell you, it's night and day!* 

3/4 cup buttermilk at room temperature 
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 whole lemon)
2 tsp lemon zest (I just zest a whole lemon - the more the merrier)
1/2 cup butter melted and cooled
3 eggs at room temperature 
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp baking powder


Directions:

This recipe was designed for a bread maker. 

Place all ingredients, in the order listed above, in your bread pan fitted with a kneading paddle. 



Select Cake cycle or quick bread cycle (see update below). Select the desired size and crust (I choose light for my crust) keeping in mind that the ingredients listed make a 2 lb loaf. Seriously, why would you want anything less? 

After batter has mixed for about 4 minutes, stir sides and bottom of pan with a rubber scraper to ensure complete mixing. 

Can you see the zest? It really adds to the bread! 

When mixing is complete, remove paddle and let bake. 

When alarm sounds, your loaf is ready! Remove from pan and place on a wire rack to cool. Or dig right in like I did! 



Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If you want to try this recipe and don't have a bread maker, I would mix all the ingredients in a mixer until well combined. Pour mixture into greased baking dish an bake at 400F for 30 mins or until a cake tester comes out clean. Keep in mind that if you are going to make this in a larger pan like a 9x9, it will not take as long to bake. 

Happy Spring!




UPDATE:
Some people have had an issue with the cake being undercooked when they used a quick bread cycle.  If you do not have a "cake cycle" on your machine look in your manual for a cycle that has about a 20 minute knead time and approximately 70 minute cook time. It is unnecessary for the cycle to have a "rise" time as there is no yeast in the cake. I hope this helps and if you have any other issues, please let me know! 

Thanks, 
Teri-

30 comments:

  1. I tried your recipe in my hand-me-down breadmaker twice and it is DELICIOUS!!! Tastes even better than Starbucks lemon-poppyseed loaf. Yum yum! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats wonderful! I am so happy that you enjoyed it! :D

      Delete
  2. First time using your recipe and noticed the option to use Quick or Cake cycle, my machine has both and they are very different...need to confirm which cycle. Quick cycle has 20 knead, 40 rise & 70 bake. Cake has 16 knead, rise 14 & 80 bake. For now I chose Quick cycle, hope it turns out well. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it turned out for you! It seems a little odd that your cake cycle has a rise time... Most cakes don't have yeast and therefore wouldn't need rise time. On my machine they are both the same so it has a 20 min knead, and a 70 bake, which is exactly what your quick cycle has with the exception of the rise time (which technically wouldn't make much of a difference except for having to wait longer). So I hope it turned out and you were able to enjoy it! Thanks for sharing, as I didn't know some machines don't have those options!

      Delete
  3. I tried your recipe, using the quick bread cycle on my bread maker. Once it was finished it looked delicious, however once I did cut into the bread, I found it to be completely undercooked in the centre, it was actually still liquid. I have never had any breads turn out this way before, do you have any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!!! That's awful! I am so sorry to hear you had some trouble with it. The only advice I can offer is that perhaps some of the settings are a bit different and if the cycle you used was just for "quick bread", that may be the reason it undercooked it. Do you have a "cake" cycle on your machine? If not, check in your manual for a cycle that has about a 70 min bake. My cake cycle has a 20 min knead and a 70 bake and the lemon bread comes out perfect.

      Delete
  4. I tried this recipe using my black & decker bread machine on quick bread cycle. When the cycle was completed it was verunderdone. I am now trying the bake only cycle to see if this bakes it more. It says the bake cycle can be useful for sweet bread or cake that is not quite done. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also don't have either the quick bread or the cake option on either of my bread machines any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane,
      I would look at your manual and find a settings with a cook time of 70 minutes. Mine has a knead time of 20 mins and a cook time of 70. Find something similar and it should be fine. Good luck.

      Delete
  6. I don't have the manual because it was my husbands aunts machine so not sure now what to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you find your model online? You should be able to look up the manual with a quick Google search if you know your model.

      Delete
  7. Ok so if I just baked this in the oven would 350 degrees be good and for how long do you think I should bake it for

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would do it for 30 mins and test it with a cake tester. If it doesn't come out clean, do it in 5-8 mini ute increments until the cake tester come out clean.

      Delete
    2. I believe I had it in for an hour total maybe a bit more but it was still just a little bit doughy inside but it was still yummy

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok got a new bread machine to make this bread and it's pissing me off HELP

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok made this in my new machine and it seems a bit undone on the top yet, any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok made this in my new machine and it seems a bit undone on the top yet, any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Let it cool and if you still think it isn't fully cooked pop it in your over for a little. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We as a family had this cake a lot over this past years, also I make this cake to send to work with my husband... they all love it. Last hunting season I made the cake every night, in the morning I would cut it in wedges and everybody would stop by to take a piece for the road to have with their coffee to ward off hunger lol I liked that even in the holiday trailer it is easy and quick to make. Thank you so much for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

      Delete
  16. Nice post mate, keep up the great work, just shared this with my friendz Bread Maker Black Friday Deals

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm using a Breville machine, there is a "Yeast-Free" option, which runs 1:29 and is knead + bake only (for cakes, or other breads with no yeast), and gives no option for loaf size. Maybe add folks look for that option if their bread has it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. When you say remove paddle - you are talking that thing in the bottom of the pan right? How would I do that without dumping everything out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually just stick a wooden spoon in there and dig it up. After you get it, scrape off all the goodness back in and flatten out and start cooking.

      Delete
  19. Do I have to use buttermilk

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mine came out very underdone 😞

    ReplyDelete