Saturday 8 June 2013

My Love of the South

The end of May is the time of year that I look forward to the most, and the reason for that is that we take a road trip down to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for our annual two week family vacation. It's the most fun we have all year and it's a much needed chunk of time for us all to relax.


 


Living in Canada and travelling to the States is always an interesting and fun experience. I have always loved to travel and see how people in different parts of the world live, and going down south is no different. People always say that the grass is always greener, but I can always picture myself living in a little town down south and being so happy! There is a different feel down there that I crave all year. Maybe I have dreamt of it, or I have lived it many lives ago, but I feel a deep connection to it. It has always felt like a second home for me. People always ask why we go to the same place every year, and that's why. It's a very special place to us, as my husband and I were engaged on the beach there, and I have so many memories of going there as a child with my family. It has become a home away from home. It is a place that has filled us with amazing memories year after year and I am so thankful for that!

These are some other reasons why I love travelling to Myrtle Beach.
(Some points are more US as a whole, and not specific to just the South)
  • Southern hospitality really is an amazing and real thing!
  •  Myrtle Beach has some of the most amazing restaurants I have ever had the privilege of eating in! I'm drooling just thinking about it!
  • The beaches are breathtaking and the waves are so much fun to play in! 

  • Customer service is a huge priority and really makes the difference! I can't believe how accommodating everyone is! Every year I noticed a HUGE difference between customer service in Toronto and the Southern States!
  • The air just feels cleaner down there! It's so fresh! 
  • The US has way more really awesome stores that I wish we had! For example Joann's and World Market! I could spend hours just in those two stores alone! 
  • There is no such thing as road rage and traffic congestion! I spent two weeks without hearing a car horn or seeing people threatening each other! Amazing! 
  • How can you not love their accent...? Y'all. LOVE IT!
  • Maybe I am shopping at all the wrong places but, their Outlet malls are actual outlets! Everything goes on sale for 50% off or more! Not only are the prices significantly more reasonable in a lot of places, but their sales are real sales! Unfortunately, that is unheard of here in Ontario for the most part! 
  • The movies are $8.00! And the theatres are digital, have leather seats, and the sound is amazing! Enough said!
  • They have a Bike Week during the Memorial Day weekend! Bikes as far as the eye can see and just hearing the hundreds of motors revving gives me goosebumps! 


  • The reflectors on the road are SO helpful when driving at night! 
  • Everyone smiles and says "hi" to you! 
  • Sonic! This is just the coolest concept ever for a fast food joint! And they have the most amazing smoothies I have ever tasted in my life! 
  • I noticed that a lot of the communities have pride of ownership. The houses and land are really well looked after. It's really impressive!
  • Every year we go back they are making changes for the better. Things are expanding, great new shops are popping up everything, existing malls and attractions are cleaner than the year before, and awesome little things are constantly being added and/or revitalised. I know that Myrtle Beach is a tourist town and you expect these things to an extent, but it's really nice seeing the change year to year. 
  • The Wal-Mart's down South are enjoyable to shop in! They are so clean and packed full of great products! They have wide aisles and the staff are friendly! I don't feel like I need to come home and have a shower right away! I know! Crazy right?
  • Crafting supplies are more than half the price they are in Canada in some places! Drives me nuts that I've been paying so much for some simple supplies! 
The list can go on and on... And I can't wait to go back next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment