Tuesday 10 June 2014

DIY Fathers Day Gift Idea

Dad's are notoriously hard to buy for! I know that my Dad is the type of guy that has everything he needs. Why is that you ask? Well, it is because he went out and bought it himself! So, I have given up trying to buy him things and resort to making him something. You can't go wrong with a handmade gift. It shows that you care, and that you spent time working on something just for them.

I made these personalized beer glasses for all the important guys in my life at Christmas, and thought it would be a great idea for this upcoming Father's Day as well!

Materials:
Beer Glass (Anything will do. I got mine for $1 at the local grocery store)
Paint Brush
Vinyl cut of the persons name (Available to purchase at any custom sign shop)
Armour Etch Cream (Available at any craft store)

Instructions:

Take your beer glass and remove any stickers etc, and give it a good wash so there are no fingerprints or glue. 



Get your vinyl piece ready and line up where you would like it to go. Go ahead and stick it on the glass. Press out all the bubbles and make sure everything is as flat as possible. 




It should come with a pre mask layer so you can go ahead and remove that as well. 




Apply the Etch Cream to the place you want to etch. Follow the directions on the bottle. It usually says to apply a thick and even coat of the Etch Cream and wait for about a minute. I left mine on for longer as to give a more defined look. Make sure you keep an eye on the cream. I had to throw one of my glasses out because the cream leaked to a spot I didn't want etched. Sometime it can be a little runny! 



When your time is up, run the glass under water to remove all the etching cream. Dry the glass and remove the vinyl. There you have it! A beautiful, easy, personalized gift! I packaged mine up in a cute gift bag with a beer from a local brewery! They were a hit! 



So if you are looking for a last minute, easy, DIY gift for Dad this Fathers Day, look no further!

Happy crafting, and Happy Fathers day to all the Dad's and Dad-to-be's out there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment